A note card template is a thick piece of paper that is often folded with a blank space where you write a message. Sometimes, it comes in the form of a piece of cardstock often used during an academic presentation or as a memory helper.
Table of Contents
Note Card Templates
How does a note card differ from a greeting card?
Although a note card template and a greeting card template are often used interchangeably, there is a small difference between them.
- Note cards are usually blank on the inside while greeting cards contain a message.
- Note cards are a lot simpler, have no embellishments, and might only have an image on the front. Greeting cards are a lot fancier, can have pop-up features, plenty of embellishments, and other special features.
What size is a note card?
The most common dimensions of a note card template are 3 x 5 inches. Aside from this, note cards are also widely available in other sizes: 4 x 6 inches, 5 x 8 inches, and ISO-size A7.
The cards also come in an assortment of colours, in grid styles, ruled, and blank. There are special divider cards that have protruding tabs too, all of which you can get at office product stores.
Note Card Designs
What do you write on a note card?
When writing a research paper, the most significant part of research before you sit down and start writing is to first organize your information. Without this aspect, it will take more time to compose your research paper. But you can make it a lot easier on yourself by using a note card template as you collect information.
With this, you can categorize all of the information you collect by topic. For each of the topics, you can have note sheet templates from various sources. Later, when you start to write your paper, you can convert each card into a body paragraph in your paper.
After coming up with a note card design, you can write down all of the interesting facts in the course of your research. Each sentence and relevant idea that you come across should get summarized using your own words than written on the card.
Here are some things to include on the cards to help to put your ideas in an organized manner while helping you remember where you found those ideas:
- Make the topic of the card the title for the type of information you write on it
The card topic is the name that you will think of yourself. Consider it the title or the main gist of your card. After you have written the information down, you have to think about how you can categorize or title it briefly. This system of giving each note a title may seem tedious, but it serves the following purposes: It will keep you focused on your research. This means that you won’t write down facts that aren’t relevant to your paper if you write the topic down for each of the cards. It’s necessary to have these topics once you start to organize your research.
- The source title should be the name of the magazine, website, book, and others, in which you took the information
When doing research, it’s recommended that you assign a number for each of your sources rather than writing down the whole title. You can write the title on each of the cards or you can just list your sources on a different piece of paper.If you adopt the latter, you will assign your sources in the list with a and then use these numbers on the cards to indicate which source you took the information from.
- Paraphrase the information you obtain
You will find it helpful to summarize or paraphrase your research on the cards while taking down notes. If you can consistently paraphrase at this stage of your research, it will be most likely that you will not be accidentally plagiarizing another person’s work.Moreover, you will do less work because you are already writing your paper. It is also very important to be very accurate with the page numbers on your cards because you will need them for the citations throughout your paper. Make sure that you know which form of citation your teacher requires.
Note Sheet Templates
Organize your research
As soon as you have jotted down all of the information for your research in your cards, you can go back to the beginning then start organizing your cards according to topic. Group all of the cards with the same topic together.
When you’re done, you should arrange your cards in piles – one pile for each topic. Depending on how extensive your paper is, you can have several piles and several cards for each of those piles. The detail and length of your paper should determine how many cards and piles you will have.
Create your outline then begin writing
After you have arranged the cards into piles, each of the topic piles becomes a body paragraph in your research paper. This is the key to the system. Since each topic will directly support your thesis statement, then each pile must become a body paragraph, supporting idea, or part of a paragraph in your research paper.
When you jot down notes using cards, you will have the flexibility to modify the order of the notes where you can easily group these together. Buy from an office supply store a pack cards for your research. Then use these to write the following down:
- Write the note’s subtopic heading at the top.
- Write a single main point on each card
- Only write down information that’s directly related to your statement of purpose.
- Write only relevant words. Whenever possible, abbreviate.
- Be as accurate as possible. Double-check statistics and direct quotes.
- Identify all of the direct quotes using quotation marks and the name of the person.
- Whenever adding your own words in a quote, place them in brackets.
- When you remove non-essential words from quotes, use ellipsis points (…).
- Distinguish between opinions and facts.
- Include the number of the source on each of the cards.
- Write the page number of the source after the note.
- Use the term, ‘over’ to indicate if there is any information written at the back of the card.
How do you make note cards on Microsoft Word?
The quickest way to do a follow-up after a meeting, an interview, or a sales pitch is through email although this isn’t always the most effective. As an alternative, you can consider creating a custom correspondence using Microsoft Word, where you design your own corporate note card templates.
Since note card examples are very simple, you won’t need expensive graphic designers. When you use Word’s templates, half the work is already done for you. Eliminating the set-up part of the design gives you the freedom to design a template with a personal touch that will sit on your recipient’s desk far longer than they need to delete an email from you.
Here are the steps to follow to make your note card format using Microsoft Word:
- Launch the software, click on the File tab then click on New.
- Click on the Cards button and double-click on the Note Cards
- Look at the templates offered. Word’s templates might not exactly suit the purpose of the cards you need, but each might come fully customized.
- Select a card closest to your purpose to save you time then click on the Download The card template will open in a new window.
- Click on the picture on the cover of the card then press Delete.
- Click on the Insert To add your own graphic like a photo of all of your employees for a corporate card, click on the Picture button, find the image then double-click it. You would also do this if you want to add a corporate logo like if you want to place one on the inside of your card.
- To insert images from the clipart collection of Word to match your card’s theme, click on the Clip Art
- Input a keyword into the search box, look through the results then click on an image or several images you want to add to your card.
- Highlight the placeholder text on the front of the card.
- Input your own text and the name of your company. Do this also for the text on the inside of your card, where you can input a message, note, or announcement.
- To add more text to your card, click on the Draw Text Box button on the Insert
- Drag the mouse to create the text box, then input the text inside of it.
- Check the back of your card. Some templates come with a customization area near the bottom where you can input the name of your company along with your business address, site, and contact details.
- If the template doesn’t have this feature, you can add it by inserting a text box as you did for the outside and inside of your card.
- Click on the File tab then choose Save As. Input a file name for your card, find a location on your computer to store the template then click on Save.