There are situations that may require another adult to take care of your child who is a minor, these could be occasioned by a trip or a school activity which requires travel to a location that’s away from home. As a parent or a guardian it is a requirement by law to give your consent on your child being away from home while in the care of another adult. A good way to lawfully do this is by the use of a permission slip.
What is a Permission Slip?
If you are in the United States a permission slip refers to a document that a given school or organization sends home through the use of a student to a parent or guardian to obtain consent for the student to travel under the care of the school or the respective organization for a specific event or field trip.
Table of Contents
It is a requirement by law for these documents to be provided by organizations or schools. This is in order for them to be legally allowed to take care of students especially those who are considered to be minors during a trip. Though this may vary from state to state or between different countries these laws are generally present and this is in accordance with the laws that minors must be given consent by their parents as well as guardian in order for them to be transported by another adult. The key information that can be obtained from a permission slip might include the student’s name, the location where the field trip will be held as well as the emergency contact information.
This site recognizes the importance of issuance of a permission slips and we have permission slip templates that various schools or organizations can use to simply the process of designing and producing them.
Permission Slip Templates
In case you are part of a school or a preschool that operates on a system that makes use of these slips to obtain permission from parents for their kids to engage in various activities, you can freely download and make use of our exquisite permission slip templates. Our templates can be easily customize to fit your specific needs and you can comfortably use them to ask for the permission of parents or guardians to let their children take part in some activities as well as field trips.
You will help in guaranteeing the safety of students with our templates that are Microsoft Word and Excel compatible. You will thus be in a position to easily and more conveniently manage field trip or any other campus initiated trip or event. By choosing to use our permission slips you will be able to appreciate the magic and great help of online slips in improving on the safety of the school life of children, their parents and generally your school or respective faculty.
Our versatile templates will enable you to allow faculty members to let in parents on the activities that it hosts and they can be used for various things such as;
- The blank space that is left at the top of each permission slip template can be used to explain a given activity and its respective purpose to the parents and guardians
- You can also be able to create a ready to print slip that has a cut-out portion which can be cut off from the main slip. This portion will have details such as the contact signatures as well as the contact information of the parents or guardians
- You can further personalize our permission slip templates by including or rather inserting stock or your own custom images or photos. You can also be able to add your organization or institution logo to the permission slips.
Types of permission slips
Permission slips usually come in either of the two ways that will be outlined below:
- Blanket or general form
- Informed consent form
Both types will contain information that will be explaining the activity that your child will be engaging in and they will also indicate that you have given your consent for your child to take part in them. Both will also include the date as well as the time for the respective activities. Apart from these similarities they are different from each other.
The blanket permission slips normally have a complete waiver of liability. By consenting to this slip you will be agreeing that the school may not be liable for any injury to your child during the trip no matter what or who caused the injury. This means that any mistake committed by the school or teacher due to negligence will not be held accountable to any injury to your child during the trip. The word is ‘may’ because these kind of slips are disliked by many courts in various states and it is likely that the waiver may not be enforceable.
On the other hand the informed consent permission slips will explain the school activity and any other natural or inherent risk/s that can be occasioned by the nature of the trip. By appending your signature you will be agreeing that the school will not be liable to any injury to your child occasioned by the inherent risks. However the school will be held liable to any injury caused by their own negligence and not the inherent risks.
It is good to know which type of permission slip you are dealing to avoid consenting to something that you will regret in future.
Field Trip Permission Slip Templates
The site specifically offers field trip permission slip templates that will help to easily and more conveniently come up with suitable field trip permission slips. It is also good to note that our slips come with a cut-away section located at the bottom. This cut away section should have the emergency contact information as well as the signature that the student will need to return the slip to the teacher. They are good and easily customizable letter as well as permission slips that can be sent home with the students.
Our field trip permission slip has a section at its top that can be used to elaborate on the activity to the parents and guardians as well. There are also two tables at the middle that can be used to quickly provide the most salient details as relates to the activity. These could be the location, the date, time and what is required for the activity.
As mentioned earlier on what is striking about our field trip permission slips is the cut-away sections at the bottom. This will enable you to have a way of ensuring that the students can more easily bring back the signature as well as the contact information of their parents’ or guardians’.
It is advisable for one to find a fun image to include in the field trip permission template. The way in which you will include this image has been explained by the text contained in the text box.
How to make a permission slip
As much as teachers would like to take their students to various escapades there is a need for them to provide permission slips to obtain the consent of the parents or guardians. Parents and guardians normally fill out the slip and this signifies that they have given their consent for their children to take part in the respective activities, mostly school-related activities such as field trips. They act as a good way to provide information to parents concerning the activities and they can also more importantly act as a legal cover for the school.
- Step 1; first and foremost you need to start by answering the questions relating to who, what, when, where, why and how of your activity this being at the top of your word document. The various questions refers to what will facilitate the trip or activity that is who will be going for the trip, what will be what one is supposed to take with them, when will be the specific date for the event and where will refer to the location for the trip and your why will be the significant reasons for the child/children to be part of the trip. Finally your how will answer the question of how the students will be transported.
- Step2; the next step is to provide a blank and say that, “I the undersigned give my permission to my child, (……), to attend the field trip with, (……..). The last blank should be filled with the respective school or organization’s name.
- Step 3; you then need to include blanks for the child’s full name, date of birth, their sex, any allergies or medical conditions of concern as well as their health insurance provider.
- Step 4; it will also be advisable to have the number of their doctor, their parent’s number as well as an alternate emergency contact number.
- Lastly, you need to include the parent’s signature and this should be at the bottom of the document and this will mark its end.
It is also good to remember that one needs to get their supervisors’ permission before taking a trip. An adequate permission slip should be able to provide clear details for a given activity and it should also be able to give the parents an easy time in deciding to consent to giving their children to engage in the given activity. The signature of the parents is legally binding.
The steps outlined below are a summary with a brief account of what has been outlined above. Key issues have been elaborated as far as the permission slip is concerned.
- First open a blank word processor document
- Proceed on to type the school’s name as well as the contact information at the top of the page. Make sure that you center it.
- Then type the day and date on the right side of the page
- Proceed on to type ‘Dear parents,’ on the left of the page
- The next step is to explain the purpose of the permission slip this being in the next paragraph. You can also choose to explain the purpose of the respective activity if this is absolutely necessary to earn the trust of the parents.
- The essential details should be provided in the next paragraph. You need to include for instance what time the students will leave and the time they will arrive back to school and the list of items the students will need.
- You need to provide instructions in the next paragraph on how the permission slip should be filled out and the specific date that it should be returned back to school.
- Then sign off like you would for a formal letter
- You need to insert a dotted line to indicate the beginning of the form that is to be returned
- You need to write a paragraph that will be based on giving consent for the child to be take part in the given activity, and you should leave blank spaces for vital information as alluded to earlier on.
- Lastly, you need to type ‘Signed’ and this should be followed by a blank space for the parent’s signature.
Coming up with a permission slip should be easy after going through the steps outlined in this article. You can also make use of our permission slip templates to ease your work. You can also check out and use our lds permission slips. Let this site simplify your work and help you to easily and more conveniently obtain the parents’ consent for a field trip as well as other school activities.