There are so many requirements these days when it concerns the photographs we use in our passports. Gone are those days when we only need to take snapshots from old photo booths. Modern passport security uses facial recognition technology that has made things a little more complicated because we have to follow specific criteria. While you can take and print your pictures at home, it’s best to use a passport photo template to avoid any issues.
Passport Photo Templates
What is a passport photo template?
At one point in your life, you will need a passport. For this, one of the requirements is a photograph for identification purposes. However, unknown to a lot of people, there are specific photo measurements for each kind of passport and you can’t just use random photos of yourself.
Not following the criteria might cause major issues in the future and to avoid the hassle, you should use a passport photo template as a guide to having the perfect passport picture.
A passport template Photoshop has many uses, it’s convenient, and you can download this for free. A passport picture template serves several purposes. Start by downloading it then pasting your picture according to the provided dimensions. This gives you an idea of whether you have a perfect passport photo or not. Not all countries use the same template. There are different templates for different countries you may use:
This country has very detailed and strict instructions of implementation when it concerns photographs for passports. The passport picture template for this country has exact measurements in terms of the size of the actual photo, where the eyes must fall, and the correct border area.
You can use a 2×2 passport photo template that follows the guidelines set by the Canadian government. Just download the template for free, read the instructions carefully, then edit your picture to follow the given guidelines correctly.
When dealing with the passport photo dimensions for the UK, you need to be very meticulous. To make matters simpler, you can also use a passport template Photoshop for UK passports. Just download the template, align your picture according to the provided dimensions then paste it.
This country is one that has the strictest rules when it comes to making passports. The US passport photo template guidelines are very stringent and you must follow them all. Fortunately, there is also a US passport photo template that is correctly measured according to the government’s guidelines. This allows you to paste your photograph according to the proper instructions.
US Passport Photo Templates
Taking your own photo for your passport photo template
As in most countries, applying for a passport can be a long and costly procedure, with the average normal time taking between 6 to 8 weeks. In the USA, the price for renewing can be over $100. Furthermore, if you break any rules for passport photos, the process can take longer and become more expensive.
Having your picture taken at a passport photo center can cost you extra to get official photos for your passport. Sadly, even if you go to these photo centers, there are still extra rules you should know to ensure that your photo gets accepted. An alternative is to take the photos yourself making sure that you follow the strict rules.
Should you decide to take your passport pictures, use a passport photo template. If you have no plain white-colored walls to pose at home, use a plain white board for your backdrop. Also, check the lighting and make sure you don’t have shadows in your photo.
Taking your picture outdoors on a sunny day works just fine. Selfies are not accepted for passport photos, so you should either use a tripod for taking your own passport picture or ask one of your friends to take the picture for you. Here are some steps for you to take your own photo:
- Take your picture
When taking your own passport photo, you can either use a tripod with a timer feature or request someone to take your photo. You can get the best results if you take your photo in natural daylight without flashes. Just make sure that the sun isn’t behind you.
You also need a plain background. You can use a large sheet of white-colored paper or a bed sheet that’s free of creases that you pin to the wall for the task. Just make sure that you stand 1-meter in front of the camera to prevent any shadows.
Set your camera to its lowest compression and highest resolution to get the best quality possible for your photo. Include more of yourself in your photo than you think you need while making sure that you have enough space at the sides and the top.
- Edit your photo carefully
Don’t alter your passport photo using computer software. This means that you shouldn’t run your photo through any photo editing application as it might change the way you look. As long as you don’t give yourself a digital facelift, you can get away with erasing temporary blemishes that you don’t want to appear in your passport photo.
- Upload your photo to the passport photo template
You can now use the passport picture template you downloaded for your passport photo. After resizing your photo according to the 2×2 passport photo template, a preview will appear inside the template along with guidelines that show the correct face size in the photo’s frame. Drag your photo to get it into position then use the necessary buttons and tools to resize your photo as needed.
- Print your passport photo
If you feel satisfied with how your picture looks in the template preview, save your photo then print it on your own printer.
Requirements and guidelines for passport photo templates
Your passport picture should present your full head from the top of your hair to the bottom of your chin. Your head should be at the very center of the frame. Your face must also have a neutral expression as you face the camera. Here are the other requirements for most passport photos:
- In full color.
- 2″ x 2″ in size.
- Printed on high-quality, thin photo paper.
- Taken within the last 6 months to show your current appearance.
- Front view, full face with an off-white or plain white-colored background.
- Between 1″ and 1 3/8″ from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head.
- Photos should have a high-resolution, not grainy, pixelated or blurry. You should print the photo on glossy or matte photo paper. You shouldn’t change it digitally that you end up looking completely different. Also, your photo shouldn’t have creases, smudges or holes.
- You must take your photo in the last 6 months, according to the rules set by the US government. This means that you can’t use a “flattering photo” of yourself from 10 pounds or 10 years ago.
- You must take your photo wearing normal attire. You shouldn’t wear uniforms in your passport photograph except fors religious clothes that you wear daily.
- Don’t wear a hat or any kind of headgear that hides your hairline or your hair. If you wear a hat or any covering for your head for religious reasons, you should present a signed statement that verifies that these items in your photo are part of your traditional religious attire that you continuously wear in public. If you wear a hat or head covering for medical reasons, you should present a signed doctor’s statement verifying that you need these items in your photo and you wear them daily for medical purposes. Even with such statements, your whole face has to be completely visible and your hat or head covering shouldn’t hide your hairline or cast any shadows.
- If you normally wear a wig, a hearing device, or other similar articles, wear these when you have your picture taken.
- Take off your eyeglasses as you shouldn’t have them in your passport photo. If you still have a photo with glasses on, that’s fine, but when you renew you’ll have to take a photo without your eyeglasses. If you can’t take off your glasses for medical reasons, you must present a signed note from your doctor when applying for your passport.
- Non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses or dark sunglasses aren’t acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. In such a case, you must present a medical certificate when you apply for your passport.
- You shouldn’t wear wireless hands-free devices or headphones. Keep these in your pocket when taking your photo.
- Permanent tattoos aren’t prohibited for passport photo-taking purposes.
Remember that you can get the perfect passport photo by using a passport photo template. You can even take your own picture by following the steps discussed. Here are a few more to guide you:
- After downloading the template, you can simply align your photo to the official template.
- Crop your picture according to the correct proportions. The 2″x2″ size of passport photos isn’t constant and may vary considerably.
- To get the right size, check your country’s requirements before downloading the template. The difference lies in the fact that different countries have varying measurements depending on what they consider to be the ideal passport size.